What are King Tides?
Also known as tidal flooding or sunny day flooding, they are the highest tides of the season and are naturally occurring, predictable events. Below are 10 tips to help you prepare your family and property during king tide season.
1. Know your flood zone, visit msc.fema.gov to learn about your flood zone.
2. Report or fix any drainage problems around your property.
3. Consider constructing a floodwall to stop floodwater from entering your property. Learn how to protect your property at ready.brizaga.com.
4. Relocate electrical panel boxes, A/C units, water heaters, and washers & dryers to elevated locations.
5. Install check valves to prevent floodwater from backing up in drains.
6. Rinse off your all landscaping if it is touched or covered by flood water.
7. Do not walk through flood waters, it is dangerous and can be a health hazard.
8. Follow any signs or alerts for road closures and detour signs to avoid driving through flooded streets.
9. If your car must drive through flood waters take it through a car wash equipped with an undercarriage sprayer to remove the saltwater.
10. Remove garbage bins once the trash has been collected to avoid washing into the street.